Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Clips claim Chauncey Billups off waivers

Chalmers' role grows as Clips claim BillupsClippers claim Chauncey Billups off waivers
As Chauncey Billups prepares to have his name entered into the NBA’s amnesty waiver wire, he has a message for teams considering putting in a bid to secure him for the rest of the season: You’ll regret it.
 
 
He wants the freedom of free agency to choose a contender, Billups says. As one of the game’s great leaders, and gentlemen, Billups warns that player will be a distant memory should a team claim him off the amnesty waiver wire.
“I’m tired of being the glue guy,” Billups tell media on Saturday afternoon. “I’m tired of being viewed as the good guy. 
“I want my freedom. My goal is to control my own destiny. And as you’ve seen in my career, I’ve never been in a position to do that. I know some teams out there are saying, ‘Oh, Chauncey will be great in mentoring’ and I’m tired of that. 
 
http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/billups.jpg

"If I get claimed by team I dont want to play for, I would absolutely consider retirment," Billups told to media after the New York Knicks waived Billups under the new amnesty caluse.
Billups, 35, averaged 16.8 points last season, which was split between the Nuggets and the Knicks.
The Los Angeles Clippers did manage to acquire a point guard even after the collapse of their trade for Chris Paul by unexpectedly claiming Chauncey Billups off waivers.
 The league's 30 teams were notified shortly after 6 p.m. ET on Monday that the Clippers had lodged the winning waiver bid for Billups, who was released Friday by the New York Knicks through the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement.

riphamilton.jpg
 
One source with knowledge of the deal told to media that the Clippers' winning bid to land Billups in the waiver auction was just over $2 million, meaning that the Knicks will still have to pay out the remaining balance of nearly $12 million from Billups' $14.2 million salary this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment